So the littlest member of the Hip Mommies family turns one this weekend. I am a mess. The house is a mess. Party decoration DIY projects are everywhere. Our gift (play kitchen) needs to be assembled. We have been working like crazy and our childcare provider called in sick. So I decided that this would be the BEST TIME EVER to make a sugar free smash cake for the little one and organize a photo shoot. What is a little bit more mess, right?
Not wanting to give the kid her first sugar high quite yet, I went on the hunt for a sugar free smash cake recipe that would be smash-able and easy (because, above). So, I looked around the internet, put a couple of recipes together and hoped for a miracle.
It was a Success! This recipe bakes a delicious sugar free smash cake which is still fairly sweet from the banana and applesauce. Surprisingly so. Our little girl loved it. (As did I – after skipping breakfast I enjoyed it maybe a little bit more than I should have.)
This recipe is sugar free, egg free and can be dairy free (skip the icing.) To make gluten free, I would sub the whole wheat flour for brown rice flour, but you may have to adjust water accordingly.
I used one tall 8 inch cake pan for this recipe
Healthy Sugar Free Banana & Apple Smash Cake (for Baby’s First Birthday)
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mash the bananas in a bowl.
- Separately mix the flours, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix gently and fold the bananas in.
- The coconut flour can leave your mix a little dry, add water as needed until you get a nice batter-like consistency.
- Coat your pan(s) with coconut oil.
- Spoon the batter into the bottom of the pans.
- Bake at 400° for 20-35 minutes. This really depends on the pan you are using, so check with a toothpick for doneness after 20 min. The pan I used was tall, and it took forever to bake through.
- Remove from oven, and from pan to cool.
- If you used a tall pan, you can use a serrated knife to cut layers horizontally
- Frost when cool and decorate as you like.
Sugar-Free Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup no sugar added apple juice – add slowly, you might not need the entire thing
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Using a whisk, mix the cream cheese with the apple juice concentrate and vanilla extract until creamy. Refrigerate.
Our top gifts for Baby’s first birthday